Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I don't really know who I am.

I have looked into the graduate programs at Temple and University of Delaware. Even though I may have the intellect to do what is expected of me, I don't have the passion necessary to carry me through. My passions are teaching and writing, and there is very little in doctoral work that will really let me express myself. It is all theoretical and quantitative analysis, which to be honest, I am tired of even reading about at this point.
 
I want to write, and I want to teach writing. The MA I am earning at Rowan will allow me to teach at a county college. If I want to teach writing at a four year college, I need either a PhD or an MFA, as a doctorate in creative writing doesn't exist. I tried explaining to John that the MFA should be my next step, and he said what was the use of working towards my MA in writing then. Is it all academic wallpaper?
 
Last semester, I wrote in my self-assessment for Poetry Workshop that I feel that I am still evolving, and that I have yet to arrive at my essential question. Who am I? I am still searching for the answer.
 
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't think it's a problem to get a second MA. That's what my father has, and he's done okay for himself. He, like you, is much more into the teaching part of things, rather than the theoretically mumbo jumbo of things, and getting into the real nitty gritty of discussing the topic. The problem with PhDs, as you've sort of said, it that they get caught up in only one aspect of something, where his knowledge is much broader because he didn't work towards a PhD.

There is no rush in making a decision. I still don't even know what I want to do-- at least you know you want to teach and write, and combine the two if you can. Also, he was an instructor as Rider, after all, with no professorial aims, so he got to teach at the 4 year level without the PhD. It's all about what education you get, (and an MFA is fine as a second graduate degree), and how you use it over time. Don't fret. There is no question that you are more than capable of getting one, the question is, do you really want one? Only you can answer that. Don't be so hard on yourself, and let it just settle into your brain, let it marinate for a little while, and keep lots of possibilities open.