Saturday, August 20, 2005

Full Moon

Ever since I have moved here, I have felt isolated creatively from other people like me. I love where I live but for the arts I have always had to go to Philly or NYC to feed my artistic soul. I get nibbles from the Appel Farm in Elmer, but that isn't always enough. This was part of my reasons for taking the classes from Gotham and applying to the Master's program at Rowan.
 
Last night, I received a phone call from a woman whom I had never met inviting me to a woman's group meeting here in town. All she knew about me was that my husband was the new science teacher at her school and my phone number. She teaches art at his school.
 
Apparently, all the women are community minded like me and  are creative like me. I met a classically trained opera mezzo soprano who dabbles in poetry. Her sister, who is also in a the group, is a published poet. The others were artists in one medium or another. The feeling of energy that flowed through the house was intoxicating. Some of the ladies went into another room to beat drums and  play flutes to honor the full moon. I know that is a pagan ritual from a former co worker of my husband's that is a practicing Wiccan. You would think I would have been offended, but I wasn't. All these women live in my town and want to be my friend. We seem to see the world through the same eyes. I can accept them as they first accepted me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad that they found you! Sounds like you made a great connection with these ladies, and it was a long time coming.