Sunday, October 16, 2005

What's the matter here?

She was an unexpected surprise Friday night. A grieving child betrayed by the very people who were supposed to love and protect her sleeps in the room next door. She leaves in the morning, not to return home, but to another borrowed bed in another house, not a home. If I thought she could ever be ours, we would ask her to stay forever and show her what parental love is supposed to be. I know that it is not her case plan, so I have to let her go now before we allow ourselves to bond to her.
 
I am feeling such anger towards her parents and the system right now. They treat her like property when she is just a little girl with caramel curly hair and a lopsided smile. Wherever she goes, I hope the tooth fairy will find her.
 
Sweet dreams angel, not to be mine.
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You did a good thing this weekend, and don't forget it. I totally agree about how much I strongly dislike children being treated like property and not as people. At least you gave her some dignity and treated her like a person. And you are her friend, even if you don't see her for a very long time, or as a friend. She will remember your kindness and love, believe me. It was a good exercise in effective parenting this weekend. You and J have the right stuff, but that was a given. ;-)